Monday, April 26, 2010

The Beginning

This morning I heard a news story on NPR about a little girl named Isabella. Isabella was born with a genetic disorder called Williams syndrome, which, among a host of physical problems, causes this little 9 year old girl to be biologically incapable of distrust. The reporter told of an incident where Isabella's mother took her to the beach. Isabella asked if they could go to Dairy Queen, and her mother refused. The girl overheard another mother, someone she did not know, talk about going to Dairy Queen, and got into this other mother's car, buckled up, and waited to be taken for ice cream. This obviously deeply concerned not only Isabella's mother, but the other mother as well, who accused Isabella's mom of being incompetent, saying, "I'm a stranger, you know!"

Isabella's mother is trying to teach her daughter how to be wary, to distrust, through standard role playing activities, which, according to the report, Isabella remembers what to do only about 50% of the time.

Here's a link to the story, so you can hear or read it all for yourself:

A Life Without Fear

When I first heard this story, I was naturally full of fear for this child. She has no defense mechanism to know that she shouldn't talk to strangers, or accept candy from them. She innately trusts, and even likes, everyone. One of the rules she has at school is that she's not allowed to say "I love you" to almost anyone. If someone tries to kidnap her, it is unlikely she would even cry out.

And then, I really thought about it.

The problem was summed up in the last part of the story:

"...though Isabelle trusts the world completely, the world is not a place worthy of complete trust."

That is not the world I want to live in, a world where a child who easily loves unconditionally, who never, ever meets a stranger, is in constant danger.

Imagine a world where this little girl's "problem" is no problem at all, where it would be perfectly normal for not just her, but for all children, to be like this, and there was no danger of them disappearing, or being hurt.

Imagine a world where unconditional love and immediate trust are the norm, and distrust and suspicion are the things that seems strange.

That's the world I want to live in. That's the world I want to see come into being. That's the world that this blog is dedicated to seeing come about. A world where Agape, unconditional, God-like love for all things, is the only Law that is needed. A world where fear and distrust simply don't exist, because those emotions are completely unnecessary.

A world that is worthy of the complete trust this little girl shows, everyday.

It is my hope that, in writing this blog, I will gather others who are like minded, who want to actively pursue this dream, who want to make it happen. I welcome ideas and thoughts toward this end, which is why my email is public on this blog. Comments will always be open, though I will delete personal attacks against anyone, whether myself or another poster, as that is completely out of line with the purpose of this blog.

I ask for your help in bringing this dream to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment